DOCman 1.x to DOCman 2.1
If you are unsure about the upgrade or have questions related to your setup, you can contact us and we can make sure everything is in order together.
- How it works
- 1. Export from DOCman 1.x
- 2. Import into DOCman 2.x
- 3. Move Files
- 4. Adjust Configuration
- 5. Re-create menu items
- 6. Permissions
- 7. Uninstall export/import components
- Known issues
How it works
Backup, the backup
Before you start the upgrade process please make a full backup of your site. If you have private documents, make sure you site is offline or make a copy of your site where you can work in.
What data will be kept?
- Categories, the category structure will be kept but the following fields will be lost: Name, Image, Access Level.
- Documents, documents will be kept but the following fields will be lost: Approved, Access, Thumbnail, Owner, Viewers, Maintainer, Homepage, License, Checksums.
- Files, your files will stay in their place and will need to be manually moved
What data will not be kept?
- Permissions, all documents and categories will be public after upgrading
1. Export from DOCman 1.x
You only need to export your data if you are migrating your data to a different site.
Export from DOCman 1.3 or 1.4
If your current DOCman version is 1.3 or 1.4 you first need to upgrade to DOCMan 1.5 in order to export the data.
Follow the appropriate tutorials below to make sure you are on DOCman 1.5 first and then continue with the next section:
- Upgrade DOCman 1.3 (Joomla 1.0) to DOCman 1.4 (Joomla 1.0)
- Upgrade DOCman 1.4 (Joomla 1.0) to DOCman 1.4 (Joomla 1.5)
- Upgrade DOCman 1.4 (Joomla 1.5) to DOCman 1.5 (Joomla 1.5)
Export from DOCman 1.5 or 1.6
- Install the DOCman Export component into your Joomla.
- Go to DOCman Export component and start the export process.
- After the process is complete, you should have an export file downloaded.
2. Import into DOCman 2.x
If you are upgrading from Joomla 2.5 to 3.x using the automatic Joomla upgrade process you need to uninstall DOCman 1.x before you upgrade your site. You cannot uninstall it afterwards.
- Install EXTman 2.0 on your site.
- Uninstall DOCman 1.x. (only when upgrading on the same site)
- Install DOCman 2.x on your site.
- Install DOCman Import component.
- Go to the DOCman Import component
- Start the import process.
3. Move Files
You also need move your files to the new site. They are typically found in the
dmdocuments directory in the root of your site. Move your files from
YOUR_SITE/dmdocuments into the
To keep your thumbnails, you also need to move your images from the
YOUR_SITE/images/ directory into
4. Adjust Configuration
Go into DOCman, click
Options from the toolbar to see if you need to change any setting. The defaults are fine for most cases but previous configuration settings have not been imported.
5. Re-create menu items
Go into Menu Manager and re-create your Menu Items (different site) or update the existing Menu Items (same site).
If you are upgrading in the same site, your old Menu Items have been un-published when you uninstalled DOCman. Edit the Menu Items to change the type, settings and re-save them to re-link them to DOCman 2.x. If you are upgrading to Joomla 3.x you will need to create the Menu Items based on your Joomla 1.5 or 2.5 menu setup.
DOCman 2 requires a Menu Item to be published if you wish to link to documents in articles
If you have restricted access settings for your documents or categories, define them again. Otherwise, everyone can see or download all the documents on your site. For more information on the DOCman 2 permission system check our Permissions levels documentation.
7. Uninstall export/import components
After your upgrade is completed it is advised to remove the import/export components from your sites. It's adviced to also make a backup of the migrated site at this point.
If you have Jomsocial installed the exporting screen will hang. To solve this - before running the exporting process - disable the 'Azrul System Mambot For Joomla' plugin, run the exporter and turn the plugin on again after the export succeeded.
OS Solutions PDF Indexer
PDF indexer is adding an extra
indexed_content column to DOCman's
docman_documents table. To be able to migrate your data the column needs to be removed first. If not you will get a
1__064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; error