Document indexing - Search inside uploaded files
With Joomlatools Connect you can search for text inside DOCman files in any language. Searching indexed files is supported through Smart Search, good old Joomla search, or DOCman's built-in search.
Note: Document indexing will only work on a public website, not on a localhost installation. This is because we need to reach your Joomla site to deliver the results. Plese refer to our Getting started guide for more information.
We support over 20 different file types:
- Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Image files (JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, RAW)
- Microsoft Office (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX)
- Open Document Format (ODT, ODS, ODP, ODG, ODC)
- Text files (TXT, RTF, TSV, TAB)
Files will be indexed on our servers. Indexing happens automatically on upload and will only take a few minutes.
Index existing documents
Since DOCman 3.1 you can now also index existing documents with Joomlatools Connect. You can trigger a document to be indexed manually through the administrator.
1. Manually index an individual document
- Log in to your site's Administrator interface
- Go to Components > DOCman > Documents
- Click on and open the document you want to index
- Click the Save button
- Joomlatools Connect will run and display a message informing you that the Document scan is running for thumbnail generation and content indexing:
- Once the document has been indexed the Featured Image and Index panels will be updated.:
2. Batch indexing of multiple documents
If you have lots of existing documents that you would like to be indexed after installing Joomlatools Connect then you can trigger the batch scanning feature by visiting the following URL in your browser:
Please see: Getting started with Connect